Saturday, September 8, 2007

Heaven Can Wait

Welcome to another week here at Classic Cinema Online.

I've just finished enjoying probably one of the most delightful movies I've ever seen, and I'm sure you'll like it too.

I am so impressed with every aspect of Heaven Can Wait, from the set design to the costuming, the screenplay, the casting, and especially the makeup -- all to complete perfection. I found it interesting how the artist aged the lead character to look as naturally aged as he did when he actually did naturally age, if that makes any sense.

As the story begins, Henry Van Cleve, played by the ever so charming and witty Don Ameche, has appeared at the gates of Hell, apparently not even bothering to consider trying Heaven first. He tells his story to the gatekeeper in an attempt to determine whether he belongs there, and this is what we see played out on the screen before us.

This charmingly lighthearted tale kept me laughing, and I especially enjoyed the rather witty Grandpa, played by Charles Coburn. This had to be one of the better supporting roles I've ever seen.

Each character in this production was played to perfection, I can't say enough about this film, I'm ready to turn around and watch it again!


This Week's Lineup


Heaven Can Wait
The Snows of Kilimanjaro
The women
Love Island
Texas, Brooklyn and Heaven
Bank Alarm

Have a great week!

No comments: